Sunday, June 29, 2008

Deer Valley

Kyia and I finally made it to deer valley after the rally car failed on us in Rock Springs, Wyoming. We had to get it towed and spent most of the day Friday waiting for it to get fixed. We finally made it to the venue around 4and then got yelled at by the crabby UCI lady telling us that we missed registration (even though online it said it closed at 6). She made a big scene and told us she could fine us but would let it go this time. What a nice welcome to the race. I was wishing I would have stayed home and raced Kato this weekend instead. I have some photos showing how sad the NMBS series looks this year that I will post when I get home.

The race was a big sufferfest for me! I just seem to struggle so much with the altitude. I had a pretty good start but after the top of the first climb I just started to go backwards. I couldn't get enough oxygen to my legs and could hardly turn the pedals over. I got passed by a ton of people on the first lap. Finally the second lap my body finally started to find a rhythm and I settled in to a steady pace. I started to pick off some riders and was moving forward for the rest of the race. I ended up finishing 11th. I was really hoping for a better result but considering it was at altitude I'm satisfied. Time to get ready for short track!

2 comments:

Sonya said...

You're my hero! :) Wish we coulda spend more time hanging out. Racing... always in the way. :) Good luck back East. You'll git 'em!!!!!

steve f said...

Great effort and results Jenna even with the car trouble,sign-up grief and hi-altitude racing.Have a safe journey and lotsa fun out east.How cool...2 world cups in Canada...ey!